Saturday 6 April 2013

What's Another Year?


It was Johnny Logan who sang "What's Another Year?" to win Eurovision in 1980, while Abba stormed to international fame on the back of lyrics like "The history book on the shelf...is always repeating itself", and I have a feeling that I've met my Waterloo, or at least my Deja Vu, as I scan the Grand National field.

Here is what I wrote about last year's race: 2012 Grand National Tips

A year later, the only real difference is that On His Own hasn't been any bigger than 20/1, but Cappa Bleu has warmed up with a carbon-copy run in the Ascot handicap he used last year, and Rare Bob one again arrives on the back of a creditable third in the Leinster National.

Of the trio, only Rare Bob can be said not to have justified his place on last year's shortlist, but he had no chance of avoiding a prostrate Noel Fehily after jumping the fifth well, and was brought down. If anything, it's Rare Bob who has enhanced his claims most in the meantime, particularly with the Dessie Hughes team in flying form, in stark contrast to the 2011/12 campaign, and the handicapper has extended the classy gelding some kindness by dropping him 6 lb from last year despite his Naas form showing him to be as good as ever.

If I had to pick one horse in the race to save my life, then it would have to be On His Own, and I wouldn't try to put anyone off him, as there's no doubt he deserves to be clear favourite having shaped so well last year, and comments regarding Cappa Bleu remain valid, but I've been banging the Aintree drum for Rare Bob for the last 2 years, and like Dessie's Army, I'm sticking to my guns!

I won't labour on the rest of the meeting on a day when all eyes are focused on one race, but I must say I was surprised to see former Aintree Hurdle winner Solwhit trading as big as 5/2 for the Liverpool Hurdle this morning, and he's impossible to get away from. Celestial Halo, who he beat in the World Hurdle at Cheltenham, has a dreadful record at Aintree, and can't be fancied to turn the tables, while Smad Place was never a threat on that occasion. It may be Medinas, the Coral Cup winner, and a horse who looks sure to appreciate the step up in trip, who pushes him hardest, but Solwhit looks the banker of the day

Recommendations:

All at Aintree

Back On His Own and Rare Bob in the Grand National @ [12] and [23] respectively

Back Solwhit in the 14:50 Aintree @ [3.4] (NAP)

No comments:

Post a Comment